I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Taylor Mountain

Well after the last instance... I needed some time...

I don't think in my life that I have ever been so angered at a hike like I was at Rattlesnake Ridge. So I knew the next one was going to have to entail something that I would enjoy and since February was a fairly close to a swimming pool, I waited and sat for a hike.

What eventually came to me was an old favorite, Taylor Mountain-Holder Ridge.

Now this is a VERY easy hike, I would put it below Poo-Poo Point on a scale of easy. We did 1,420 vertical feet in 3.23 miles. Mind you, we did some exploring but by no means was it "Hard".


You begin at the parking lot. No passes here either. Thank goodness for King County Parks.

There is particular route has two directions. Neither matter but are equal in there way.

 
I normally head up the service road but that's because I like to have view going down rather than coming up. Why have your back to a view?

The trail up is a simple service road and has no views. Which sucks because I think from that position, you'd have a good view of Tahoma (Mount Rainer). After about 1.2 miles, you come to a T in the road and take a left turn. This will take you up and up and such until you start walking along a flat surface.

From here, you can hear Highway 18 below. Not my favorite thing obviously but at the same time, I can deal. As soon as you begin going downwards, you can look straight a head and catch a small glimpse of the metropolitan area. I was never sure if it was Seattle or Bellevue but either way, it is only to be seen on a clear to semi clear day.

You come around the corner and BAM. A stellar view of Hobart, Maple Valley and beyond. You don't actually see the cities but if you know the general location, you'll have a good idea where they are.













After taking the sights in, you continue on the well worn trail. It was clear to me that it had been well used. This is considering the fact the network of 30+ miles of trails is open to access for everyone, hikers and bikers and horsemen and women a like. It's not to hard to traverse but at the same time, it can provide some ankle busting situations. SO be careful!


As you keep on meandering through the trails, you come upon another T. Your option here is to go straight, which will lead to service road again OR the path that I take which is Z backwards and keep going on the trail. At that point, you go down for a bit, and a bit and a bit and then you make a Sharpe turn up hill. Up and up so more and the over ridge and down the other side. Not much to mention after you dive back into the trees. the trail will level off and lead you back to the parking lot and that's it.


So in short, a simple hike, not much to it. It's in the same category as Poo-Poo Point. Something small and easy and is a good after work/school hike.

So now that I have that outta the way... 68,500 feet left..



AND don't forget to comment with hiking rules or if you want one a book for yourself. I think that it'll be 101 rules?


And note, the photos that I included here weren't take on the day I hiked they're about 2 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment