I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Push it to the limits

Well here is a thought for you?


I seem to be getting people thinking after last weeks post about Everest so how about this.

Once maybe every week or two(depending on what I have on my mind). I do an opinion based article? Maybe it'll give a better sense into who I am as a hiker/nature person/outdoors men.



So with that, here's my first one


Many people ask me why? Why climb? Why even do something as silly as just walk through the woods just for a view that can't be guaranteed and you run the risk of so much going wrong. Or when I do something dangerous, like climbing up Haystack on Si in a waterfall or bushwhacking into the unknown. Why Zach, why do you do this?



Well for me, and I can't speak for the whole world but more on that in a second, it has two answers. One short and one long but first, why I can't speak for everyone.


One of the biggest reasons why my answer to the reason why we climb is simply because I am not them. I honestly believe that the truth is, even mountaineers, not typically the articulate sort, rarely seem to have much idea of why they do what they do. Some may have a certain personal belief or goal that they're trying to climb but even the faint thought of risking it for even the slim chance to say you did it, simply gets peoples juices going. For me personally, until someone comes up with a  well defined general idea, I think it's because they can.


Now for me. Now note, this is a personal thought. I do not speak for anyone else but ME.


So as I stated before, I have two reasons. The first being short and it is simply this. I do it so I can be Free.

Going WAY back to 2013 I made a video highlighting some of my favorite pictures from 2012. In fact, here's the link-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcRHkqFqJGk

(Here's 2013s as well--->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDpknqMJuus&list=UUxol9cO47Q-gcgRvW_Qymgg 

 (Features Shake the mountain by The Treatment and "O Fortune")

The song playing is "Free" by Twin Atlantic. Not normally my genera to listen to but the song says he does what he does to be "free". For me, it is the same thing. I hike to be free of stress, pain, worries, anger and all negative emotions. The elation I get from sauntering through the woods is such a indescribable feeling that I have trouble teaching it to other (but my teachings are for another day)


NOW for the long

In my mind... It kinda goes back to what I said in the beginning. People they do not know why. For me, what ever inside my brain that signals me to go and the little siren noise in my head from the mountains that always softly whisper to me to come back for more. To come back for another adventure. To come back to see where your limits can be placed and where you can reach beyond and go further then you ever thought.

I believe, that is what causes me to go. I personally think, and I know I sound insane.... It is the siren call. Almost like a small voice whispering in my ears, it calls and I have to go and answer to see what it wants.

For me, I will likely never know and will always search for that answer and I will likely never know but for me, I will continue to search for that answer. No matter how long it takes and so what if I can't or don't ever find the answer. For me, it will be the search for it. Finding it will fill me for ever and bringing along my friends to help search for that answer will make the experience, as a whole, well worth the search.

But at the end of the day... Who knows? Those are personally what I believe to be the reason why but at the... No matter if it is or not. I will search in ever mountain top, every valley, every mine, every ledge, ridge, saddle, ever butte, ever lake and all over the world if I have to maybe some day find the answer to the reason why I climb.






















but honestly, I hope I look forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment