I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Rattlesnake Ridge-East Peak

I have a hike I hate






Which is scarey because I love hiking and always have and always will



So in all my hiking, I must admit that at any rate.. I have some prejudice when it comes to hiking.

I avoid hikes. It's at any rate, not something I try to do BUT when you have a mentality like mine, it is meh.

Now by avoid hikes, I mean popular ones.

Now what is a popular hike? Well this exact hike, Rattlesnake Ridge, is a popular hike...

NOT my fault we went here but that is another story.

Anyways. The hike begins at a semi large lake's parking ground. We arrived at about 9:00 AM and boy was there a lot of people AND I MEAN A LOT. The parking lot is pretty good sized and was FULL. Which made parking a lot of fun to find but since this is a hiking blog, my suggestion here is to get there early.

You begin at the "trail head" which I assume is a forest service road. If you can't find it, then simply follow the crowds. It's a small walk to the actual trail. There are a couple porta potty's there which are apparently being changed into stationary toilets. The trail head looks to have been Tailor made to look like a hike. You begin walking up the trail and it gets obvious. Looks can be deceiving. As you walk to and fro, the trail does occasionally look like it splits off but stay on the most beaten part. So long as you a come up to a tree over the trail. Either duck over or under, hikers discretion. I think it was placed there to make it "challenging".

You begin going up and up and blah blah blah. It's all minor switch backs and for anyone looking for a challenge, it isn't enough to even raise a heart beat above a reasonable level.

You hit a straight point and after about 3 minutes of going straight you reach the first ledge. I admit, the view is cool. Not many view like that around here. Rather than doubling back like most were, we continued up the trail. We found less and less people as we went and I image that's how it always is

We continued toward the peak  through the woods. Not many views or a description here. It's mostly trees dirt and what not. To be frank... It's boring

I won't continue on but just know, unless you hike this EARLY EARLY EARLY, it won't be worth it...



I know this took me nearly 2 months to post but I could never actually sit down and type with out getting angered about this...



More to come soon... Taylor Mountain-Holder Knob, Mount Peak (Pinnacle peak) and the Mud Mountain Dam trail.


Also am working on a hiking rules book, check out our blog about our rules to maybe add some of your own and I'll include them in the book or even a order for a book? Insert shameless plug here...

Til next time, keep calm and hike on.

No comments:

Post a Comment