I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sunset Cone-6/27/14

1,101 feet gained
 
A spur hike I had been very well wanted to do. Another cinder cone that was on my hit list. I began at the Craters of the Moon info center to obtain a backcountry permit through the National Parks site. I must say... The whole system is wonky.. After leaving the park and dashing across the highway and nearly losing my hat as a hay truck blew by me at 75 (speed limit out there being that). I got down the road to the forest service entrance and grinned. Truly my kinda hike. Nobody around for a long while plus a mountain in by way. I went down the lonely road with stellar view of the Lost River Valley to my right. I came around to a group campsite and found myself staring at the long cone and not seeing a way up, I just started going. It was a strong case of path of least resistance and go. Eventually, near the "tree line"(not exactly...) I did find what looked to be a game trail so I followed. It lead me directly to the summit ridge and from there It was an easy hike to the summit. Atop the volcanic cone you truly do get perspective to how large and expansive the area of the semi-lifeless land ahead. I had true sight of the visitor center from the top and I didn't feel like going back the way I came, so it was down the sage brush infested south side facing the center. I'm sure my bright red shirt stuck out among the browned ground. More then likely got some odd looks but neither a black widow or Rattlesnake came out and got me so... I guess for the win?























 

No comments:

Post a Comment