I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Snyder Lake- 6/30/2014

2,547 feet gained


LETS GO
Another easy gain hike. Well.. Easy for me..

The trailhead is a wee bit confusing. It starts at the Sperry creek trailhead which is the trailhead for the Gunsight Pass Trail next to Avalanche Creek.. Confused? Well I’m gonna walk along the Gunsight pass trail for about 1.7 miles till you split to the Snyder lake trail…

The amount of trails is to dang high…

As the trail starts, you may notice a funny smell as you notice a horse barn on the left. I considered renting one but figured eh… Hiking. The part afterwards is a fairly good workout. Long sections of UP with good sections of rest before more up. There are few views here and there and what not. They mostly came from landslides areas along the creek.

You’ll find the intersection at 1.7 miles is the cut off for another trail which is your trailhead. A little sign tried to direct me to other, longer hikes, but sadly I didn’t have the time. Following said trail up and up. It surely mellows out. Lots of tiny stream crossings (excluding one) and lots of bear grass. Almost to me.. At any rate, I didn’t break into a sweat. After coming through the main creek you come in a rockfall and easily cross. It crosses back into the trees fast and then… Wow..

A jaw dropping monolithic drainage basin for the lake reaches out and slaps you in the face with its views. I attempted to not trip over my jaw as I continued further. Mountains towered over me, spilling their cascading falls across granite sides, all coming from the massive winter snow pack that existed in the area long before I showed up.

You go up and over a small plateau and find the small lake. I strolled around its shores, exploring the hidden campsites and clear waters. When I had enough of that, I turned and went atop the plateau. Sitting on a slab, I found I can’t sit cris-cross anymore because my knees hurt like heck. Probably should have that looked at…

I took off back down and the amount of people increased greatly. I was very grateful to have started early as I did because NOBODY was on the trail. All and all, a very respectable hike that brought me to 57,076 feet gained out of 80,000 feet. Upon returning… It’ll be Taylor Mountain, Tathalum Peak, Mailbox Peak, Granite Mountain and the grand papi… Denny Mountain…

That name brings dejection and failure(In my defense, I was sick…) That’s what will send me over 80K and into a whole new level of hiking. I strongly believe that getting this goal will send me into a new level of hiking and more and more of what I love.
 
Could be fun
 
Looking down a wash out
 
Little Chipmunk friend
 
TURN
 
More bear grass
 
Rockfall
 
About... here... is where my jaw dropped
 
Enough said
 
Stay classy..
 
HA GOT A BRIDGE picture
 
Outhouse
 
For hanging food
 
Those water falls

No comments:

Post a Comment