I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Borah Peak-6/21/2014

3,750 gained
 
Does when in Rome count when hiking? Although I did not successfully summit due to the areas chronic wind issue, I did find that I am able to function above Mount St. Helens height of 8,366 feet. In Fact, up to 10,000 feet(which is where I stopped due to a 35 MPH coming from no where). The trailhead begins after a friendly jaunt on a gravel road which leads you to the base of Borah. The dirt hits the fan as the UP begins nearly instantaneously from leaving the safety of the parking lot. In fact.. This is such an UPPITY TRAIL, the up begins in the dang parking lot and it D.O.E.S.N.O.T end. As the dust trail unfolds, you cross what looks to be a creek during the rainy season and after more UP you breach a small ridge and wait for it... YOU FIND MORE INTENSE UP. The views of the valley below where absolutely spectacular. I kept going up when I found myself counting the switch backs and stopping for a 30 second breather. I'd stop after every 5 when after 20, I looked up and said some very colorful words to myself, and only myself due to being alone. A long stretch of UP remained in my way. I held my breath and sighed and moved. I rounded a bend and became seriously exposed on all sides. A weeeeeeh bit of vertigo appeared but I recovered and sat down for lunch at 9,340 feet, or so my GPS said. I eyed up the mountain and charted my route UP the talus. After a filling lunch, I began the UP and UP and UP and UP until I reached the all mighty 10,000 feet. At 10,000 feet, I turned and mouth agape, stared into the empty space. While I picked my mouth off the ground I noted dark rain clouds to my west. I turned to continue UP but was blasted in the back by a sudden 35 MPH gust of wind. After picking up and brushing my hat off, I knew the weather was changing and, against my best wishes, decided to go back. I ducked back under the tree line and found my self smiling, knowing that I had made a good choice and would live to hike another day. Sadly, I didn't add the summit of the 12,667 foot mountain to my summited list but my grandma gave me permission to knock it off my list to climb all 50 states highest points. So Mount Borah of Idaho. #11 off, 49 to GO.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment