I am Zachary Pratt and this is where I will share all my hiking adventures with friends as I conquer everything in my way.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Huckleberry Ridge- 6/28/2014

3,125 feet gained

A new can of fun
In knowing the risk of bears in Glacier National Park, I had another first. Packing a holstered can of bear mace.


Although not necessarily hard, the challenge of thinking of the possibility for bears along the trail does get you going on a trail such as this. After diverging up one road then back down, up another, back down it and then BACK up the first one, I started on the trail head alone. There isn’t much to this lower portion due to it being so, almost painfully slow and flat. The trail traverses through bear grass patches upon bear grass patches. As the up began going, I caught up to a small group from Minnesota. They were moving MUCH slower than the normal “Zach speed” but I figured safety in numbers on this trail/area was likely the best idea so I slowed it down. There really isn’t much to say here. The trail goes in and out of avalanche shots and then comes into a open field which is likely awash with bears during the nicer portions of the year.


We crested a saddle as the skies decided it was time for a shower. Atop there was a turn to which the trail lead us. The issue was as slab of snow blocked the trail and it also oh so happened that to be that it easily looked like you could both ways. Well we took the wrong turn and went to the south to a small peak. Not to big of an issue so we went back the way we came. We found the trail and ushed up a bit but eventually, Stan, Dory and Mike decided it was to much for them. I on the other hand, pushed further. In fact, so far, that I was with in sight of the top but was stopped. About halfway in between me and summit, i noted something moving. Upon a closer look, I realized it was a Grizzly bear. Not one to risk my life to stare at clouds, I spun around and took off without informing the bear I was there.

I made it back below the saddle and the skies decided to get to give me another cold shower. I found Stan, Dory and Mike about a 1/4th the way back to the trailhead. We all sauntered back to the trailhead, thankfully, uneventful.

Away we go

Not much here

Avalanche chut

Friendly partners

Opps... Wrong turn

SNOW

Thank you skies for a shower

Can image the amount of wild berries
 

No comments:

Post a Comment